Kid-friendly explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid-friendly explanation

does anyone have kid-friendly language to explain an ALL diagnosis to a child under 10 years old? It seems tricky to explain that there is an issue in their blood rather than a solid tumor - that seems to be where most kid's heads go after they hear the word cancer. Any thoughts are helpful

Are you familiar with the book My Blood Brother? It does a pretty good job for kids around 10 years old. I will say though, that at the end it mentions that the older brother is a match for the younger brother should he ever need a BMT, I am not sure if that is what you had in mind. I am happy to send you a copy to review and if you don't use it, you can pass it on to another family or to the hospital. Send me an email with your address if you are interested: LisaTowry@AlexsLemonade.org

Comment

My little guy Max with ALL is almost 4 and his older brother is 5 1/2. When he was first diagnosed we told his brother that there were monsters in Max's blood and the doctors and medicine were going to kill them and make them go away. Also explained that he still has to see the doctors and get medicine for a while to make sure that they never come back. This really worked and helped him understand what was happening.

Comment

Working...
      X